Because prayer is such an important part of our spiritual lives, Pastor Edgar and Christine are asking First Church members to take a 12 week journey as we seek to:
- develop our spiritual life.
- find God’s direction in times of uncertainty.
- encounter God’s will for our lives.
- prepare ourselves for the work to come of helping First Church find its purpose, mission and vision for the future.
Here are your opportunities to walk with us on this journey.
- Watch the sermon series on prayer (beginning February 14th on Facebook and YouTube).
- Use the prayer journal you will be receiving by mail. This journal has daily scriptures, a prayer for the week, a prayer practice and space to write your thoughts and insights. The prayer journal is also available if you click here.
- Monday – Friday you may join us on zoom or the phone as we share 15 minutes of prayer. You may join us at either 7:00 AM or 8:00 PM. Contact Lisa Karen at the church office if you would like to have the Zoom link. There will be a different link for the morning prayer time and the evening prayer time (so you may want to get both if you aren’t sure when you can join) but each of those links will be the same for all 12 weeks.
- Join a prayer group of three that will commit to gather on zoom or the telephone weekly to join in conversation and prayer for 30 minutes. To sign up to participate in a prayer group, you may send an email to Lisa Karen at email@example.com or call her at 244-6209 (between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM). Please state your preference for zoom or phone. Each group will determine its own meeting time. We are also looking for prayer group leaders. If you would like to lead a group, please contact Christine by February 8th. Information and resources will be provided.
- The church sanctuary and chapel are not in use at this time. If you would like to come to the church to pray, the sanctuary and the chapel will be open from 8:00 AM to noon, Monday – Friday. Ring the “After Hours” buzzer to gain access.
Important Note: The sermon series will be interrupted by Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday. It will resume on Sunday, April 11. Also prayer groups and daily prayer time will not occur during Holy Week (March 29-April 2). Daily prayer time and groups will resume on April 5.
John Wesley the founder of the Methodist movement once said to one of his lay preachers: “O begin! Fix some part of every day for private exercises…Whether you like it or no, read and pray daily. It is for your life; there is no other way: else you will be a trifler all your days.”
Won’t you join us on this journey? It will change your life!